I have to admit, 5 years ago my life and health were a mess. I was eating too much pizza, drinking too much Southern CA merlot, working too hard and generally circling the drain of emotional burnout and a health crisis.
I felt terrible all the time - tired, irritable and moody. Plus, I was carrying around an extra 5 pounds that I just couldn’t seem to get rid of no matter how much I tried!
Something needed to change.
After trailing special diets, expensive supplements and exhausting workouts I realized I needed to get back to the basics - I simply needed to detox my body & life.
I didn’t know it but I was about to embark on a journey that would change things for the better, permanently.
At first the idea of ‘detoxing’ sounded like too much hard work. But I soon realized that a few small, simple steps were all I needed to get me started with my new, healthy lifestyle. From there things snowballed, and now I feel fantastic! I sleep easily, feel happier and have finally dropped those extra pounds. And it all started with these few simple changes that I’m about to share with you, so you can start to easily detox your life as well.
1) Warm lemon water in the morning is your new best friend. Seriously. I know it sounds way too easy, but this one little morning habit will kick start your metabolism, digestion and your body’s natural detoxification processes. Gwyneth Paltrow is an avid lemon water drinker, so if it’s good enough for her then it’s good enough for me (and you) too!
2) Drink more smoothies. Smoothies are one of the easiest (and most delicious!) ways to detox and feed your body all the nutrients it needs to get rid of toxins and extra weight. Dr Oz recommends them as well as many other health and wellness practitioners in addition to a healthy diet. Check out my favorite detox smoothie recipe further down the page!
3) Walk 30 mins each day. If you’re already exercising regularly then - great! You’re well on your way to detoxing your life. If not, you need to get moving - NOW!
4) Detox your mind. When detoxing your outer life don’t forget about your inner life as well. Your thoughts & emotions play a huge part in your wellbeing, and as little as 10 minutes a day of meditation or deep breathing can be the difference between a bad day of stress, or a great day. So take a few easy, deep breaths each morning before starting your day - your mind and body will thank you for it!
5) Cut down your exposure to toxins. It may not seem it, but this step is probably the most important in your detox journey. Why? Because there’s no use detoxing your body if you’re continually exposing yourself to more and more toxic substances! And the main culprit in your everyday life will most certainly be plastic.
When you store your food in plastic containers or wraps, toxic chemicals like BPA and phthalates leach into your food and from there into your body once consumed. These synthetic chemicals contain hormone disruptors that can cause weight gain and even some cancers. Talk about toxic overload!
Aside from switching to glass and stainless steel storage containers for my food, there was one key way I significantly reduced my exposure to toxic plastic. It was just a tiny, small thing that I at first didn’t even realize was still exposing me to toxins! But once I realized what was happening I made this small change and viola! It made all the difference.
What I’m talking about of course is using non-toxic Stainless Steel Straws. They're the only way to safely sip your smoothies in style.
When you’re drinking those delicious detox smoothies, like the one in our recipe below, it’s imperative that you don’t compromise the health giving benefits of your drink by sipping it through a chemical laden disposable plastic straw.
Think about it. All of that delicious, healthy goodness has been blended up and is waiting to nourish your body and help you to detox. But the second your smoothie (and your lips) come into contact with a plastic straw you’re immediately exposing yourself to the very toxins you’re working so hard to get rid of! It just doesn’t make sense!
That’s why you absolutely must use reusable stainless steel straws for your daily detox smoothies and any other cool drinks as part of your simple detox lifestyle. Even Oprah raves about them and uses them regularly!
Stainless Steel Straws from Eco at Heart® are the best choice on the market because they're made from super high grade non toxic stainless steel. This means they won't leech any toxins or metallic tastes into your drinks so you can enjoy your smoothies, naturally. They won't bend, break or rust so will keep you sipping those healthy smoothies for years to come!
And speaking of healthy smoothies... here's one of my favorite detox smoothie recipes to get your started with your new healthy lifestyle. Just make sure you get your Eco at Heart® straw to drink it through first!
Berrylicious Detox Smoothie
1 1/2 cups frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc)
1/2 cup coconut milk, or your milk of choice
1 cup coconut water or filtered water
1 tablespoon rolled oats
Blend and enjoy!
For what it's worth, it's not just me who thinks Eco at Heart® straws are the best reusable, non toxic straw out there. They've got a 5 star rating on Amazon, and hundreds of happy customer reviews.
Plus there's a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if you're not happy with your straws you can send them right back. But to be completely honest, I'm pretty sure you'll LOVE your Eco at Heart® straws just as much as I do!